Donald I. Bierman
WNF Law, PL
Donald Bierman concentrates his practice in whitecollar criminal defense. With more than 40 years of experience, Mr. Bierman handles matters relating to federal income tax, Foreign Corrupt Practices, civil and criminal RICO, criminal antitrust, bank fraud, mail fraud and money laundering cases. He has handled many forfeiture cases and has recovered substantial funds for innocent third parties.
Mr. Bierman has developed skills in customs violations, particularly in embargo and controlled technology matters during his years in South Florida. He has defended a number of international extradition cases, leading to no extradition. Mr. Bierman has been appointed Special Master by several United States District Court Judges and has been active in the Criminal Defense Bar since leaving the U.S. Attorney's Office in 1970. He has taught Advanced Federal Criminal Procedure and Trial Practice at the University of Miami Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Income Tax
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Health Care
- Securities Fraud
- Mail Fraud
- Customs Violation
- International Extradition
- Represented prominent physician civil rights leader in income tax evasion case with $60,000 of clearly provable non-reported cost payments; acquitted on defense of employee theft.
- Representation of Director of the Port of Miami in Federal, criminal case - acquitted.
- Tried various and sundry narcotics violations, income tax violations, theft of the mail and government check theft cases as well as the full range of federal crimes.
- Representation of major international bank employee in Civil RICO case - verdict for client.
- Tried as lead counsel over 120 jury trials to verdict, primarily in federal courts throughout the United States, as well as limited state courts in Florida.
- Represented various high-level public officials and entertainers in pre-charge negotiations
- Florida Bar
- Washington, D.C. Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Board of Directors, Children's Trust, 2008 - present
- Chairman, Greater Miami Jewish Federation Attorney's Division 1982, 1983; 1994 - 1995, 1995 - 1996, 2008 - 2009
- Chairman, Miami Coalition of Christians and Jews (MCCJ), 2007; Member - 2008 - present
- Member, Civilian Investigative Panel, 2003 - 2005
- Chairman, National Conference for Community and Justice, 2005 (Miami Chapter)
- Member, Florida Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Florida Criminal Defense Attorneys Association
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member of Executive Board, Anti Defamation League, B'nai B'rith 1977 - 2005
- Vice Chairman of Executive Board, Anti Defamation League 1977 - 2005
- Appointed Special Master by U.S. District Judge C. Clyde Atkins in the Haitian Litigation, November 1991; presided over proceedings in Guantanamo Bay
- Founder and Chairman, Wesley A. Sturgis Student Scholarship Fund
- Martindale Hubbell: Rated AV, the highest recognition given for professional excellence, skills and integrity
- The American Lawyer, 1995 - 1996 Practice Directories,
- White Collar Crime and Corporate Compliance
- MCCJ Medallion for Lifetime Achievement Award
- Life member Annual Recognition by the Dade County Bar Association and Dade County Bar Association Office of Public Service, 2010
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation Attorney's Division - Honorable Theodore "Ted" Klein Special Recognition Award, 2010
- 2010 Florida SuperLawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers of America, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Selected Best Immigration Lawyer in Dade County, Miami News Series, 1978
- Dade County Bar Association & Dade County Bar Association Office of Public Service, New Life Member
- 2010 Honorable Theodore "Ted" Klein Award by The Attorneys' Division of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation